Sunday 1 February 2015

Hasbro Millennium Falcon

Shortly before Christmas I picked up a Hasbro Millennium Falcon from Argos. Pictures below

There was a slight comedy of errors on my part with this kit. When I read about it, I thought it was the Hasbro playset with the removable roof sections. It seemed the same length - about 70cm (2.5 ft) long, and I wasn't aware that there were any others on the market. I ordered it from Argos and a very large box arrived on the appropriate day.

I opened the box and spent about ten minutes trying to prise the various roof sections off. However, the thing was stubbornly insisting on being just a single piece, and on closer inspection I discovered that there were more than 20 screws holding the two halves together. A more careful web search turned up the one I'd bought, which wasn't the playset.

It is a massive beast, but there will be no battles fought amongst its narrow corridors. There will, however, be battles fought in its hangar and around it when it lands to rescue people/deliver supplies etc.

According to lore, the Falcon is 34.75m long. A model size of 70cm gives a scale of 1:50. Tiny bit larger than 28mm, but nothing to write home about. The figure in the pictures below is a 28mm Hasslefree model.

Falcon 1

Falcon 2

Falcon 3

Falcon 4

You may have noticed that the side panels are blank. There are some stickers supplied with the model for these areas. However, there are also a number of resin aftermarket pieces available, including the panels, landing gear and a longer cockpit. I suspect I'll just go with the stickers, but it's nice to know there are other options if I change my mind.

Mil Falc Cockpit Side

Mil Falc Cockpit Front

This model is not in the Argos catalogue any longer, but I got it for £25.49, which I'm very happy about.

The new year brought a new magazine from Deagostini - Build the Millennium Falcon. This builds one slightly bigger than the Hasbro one, with interior parts. The downside is that it's 100 weekly issues and they're £8.99 each. I think I'll stick to my £25 one over the £900 one, even without an interior :-)

2 comments:

  1. Storage is going to be a bitch! I especially like the seat into the penultimate picture, now doubt for Chewy after a heavy curty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I just snagged me one of these and im very keen to not use the stickers and replace them with aftermarket bits plus get landing gear and ramps etc. This article says they are available, do you have a link anywhere?

    ReplyDelete