Sunday 21 October 2012

Finished Dwarf Adventurers

I painted these figures at the end of 2011, but only got around to basing them in the last few weeks.

These figures are still available from GW as Dwarf Adventurers, although I bought them when they first came out, so about 20 years or so ago. It was slightly annoying to find out they are still available, as it rather ruined my hope of selling them on ebay and retiring :-)

Anyway, they've been stuck in the bottom of storage trays for years, always waiting for the "right moment". That finally arrived at the end of last year, when I decided to paint them at the same time as a group of Santa Claus figures.

The reason it's taken me so long to base them is that I had huge plans for the bases. The Big Game Hunter was going to be in a wooded glade, with rabbits hiding under logs, and there may have been a babbling brook at some point. The Samurai was going to be standing on a wooden bridge, with a stream flowing underneath, possibly with koi swimming around. Trying to fit either of those onto a 40mm diameter base, however, was way beyond my modelling skills. Sanity prevailed in the end, and I went with plasticard, mixed gravel, static grass and grass clumps. Not quite the original vision, but I'm still happy enough with the results.

Big Game Hunter

Adventurer Front Adventurer Back 1 Adventurer Back 2

Adventurer Above 1 Adventurer Above 2

It actually took me quite a bit of time to track down the khaki colour I wanted, but it did turn out as I had hoped. From my notes, it was mainly GW Kommando Khaki (no idea what its replacement colour is as I still haven't bought any paints from the new range), mixed with a few other browns until it looked correct.

Samurai

Samurai Front Samurai Back

Samurai Above 1 Samurai Above 2

For the coloured metal on this figure I mixed Silver Pearl and Flame FW Acrylic Artists Ink, the same technique I used on my Space and Dwarf Santas. It's on quite a bit more metal on this figure, and I'm really happy with the result.

In other news, I finished my Open University course last week, so I have the evenings free to paint again. Hopefully I'll get back to weekly updates on the blog, just in time for its two year anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment